While we often treat myself ourselves to a mani/pedi, the idea of cuticle oil can be foreign to some — who uses that stuff anyway? Well, we all should. And two to three times a day! We spoke with Mandi Levanah, Revitanail Nail Care's expert, ambassador and celebrity manicurist — she did Rihanna's nails when she was last in Sydney — to find out about cuticle care. What she told us about nail salons and letting them snip your skin will astound you. Click through.
It's our job to pick the brains of the top professionals in the beauty industry, so we think it's high time to share the best tips we've heard over the years. From runway makeup artists to celebrity hairstylists, we've picked out the best of the best when it comes to tricks of the trade. Get all the beauty secrets you never knew after the jump.
Winter is the season of dark and metallic nails, and it seems some manicures are sticking to vampy neutrals — at least that's what it looked like in Hollywood last week. Katharine McPhee (top) adorned her nails with a shiny black lacquer, while Katie Holmes (bottom left) reached for a similar shade. And Anna Paquin (bottom right) opted for a midnight blue hue. These colours are perfect for the cooler temperatures, so whose dark Winter polish did you like best?
From movie premieres to party appearances, celebrities have perfected their looks down to the last detail: their nails. With the most exclusive access to top nail artists and not-yet-released polish shades, stars know how to create plenty of polish trends. So take note from these tastemakers on everything from pastel colours to intricate designs. Plus, our close-ups show you how to coordinate your fingertips with clutches and jewellery, too. Click through to see our favourite star nails of 2013!
— Additional reporting by Kaitlyn Dreyling and Maria Del Russo
Are you counting down for an early finish so you can hit the highway, blast Pharrell Williams x Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" while wearing your new silver nail polish? Us, too. It's the long weekend and if you're planning a trip away, you'll need to downsize your beauty routine without compromising on versatility and quality. Travel sized products don't have to be daggy, you know. Get in here.
While you might need to keep saving your pennies for that luxe Winter coat, buying on-trend beauty products to take you through the new season isn't quite as expensive. Lucky us! There's a lot of colour right now — something we're sure to need to pick us up on those dreary Winter days — as well as some party polish and a skincare line to rival all others. Keeping skin hydrated is key this Winter, so we suggest you check it out. Add to that the CC cream our beauty editor is wearing right now, and you've got yourself some new, must-have beauty products. Click to shop.
From the Oscars to the Grammys, award shows are guaranteed to bring on manicures galore. See the major polish moments from the biggest red carpet events of 2013, including the most recent CFDA Awards.
— Additional reporting by Jessica Cruel and Maria Del Russo
As we edge closer and closer into Winter (shudder), the makeup look gets smokier, darker and sexier. While nail art takes a back seat, deep metallics and shiny, dark solids will reign supreme on fingertips this coming season. If you want to be ahead of the pack, jump on board this weekend with one of these decadent nail polish picks.
When you're in a jam and desperate for hair or nail help, the perfect fix can come from some highly unexpected places. Whether you tore a nail and can't get to the salon, need a manicure to dry fast, or forgot your curling iron before a big event, there's slightly bizarre but excellent assistance for you when you keep reading.
Attention nail-biters, this post is for you! Aside from being a fashion statement, nails are an important part of your overall health. In fact, discoloration, indentations, or opaqueness can often be signs of more serious conditions such as anemia, hepatitis, or lupus. Keep these five tips in mind for the healthiest nails yet.
- Just like your bones, nail health relies on a balanced diet that includes plenty of protein and vitamins. If you're worried something is missing, try keeping a food journal to notice any patterns or starting your morning with a nutrient-rich breakfast smoothie.
- If you're one to often change your nail polish, use an acetone-free remover. Acetone is harsh and can dry out your nails, causing them to crack, which can lead to an infection under your nails.
- Although it can be tempting, don't bite, pick, or tear your hangnails. Not only is this bad habit unflattering, but it will also damage your nail bed (the skin underneath your nail). It can also allow bacteria to enter your skin and cause an infection. Instead, use a clean manicure set to do the dirty work.
- Just like flossing, make nail care a healthy habit. Regularly trim your nails (with a clipper, not your teeth), and smooth rough edges with an emery board. Clean under your nails, and then moisturise them to prevent cracking or breakage.
- If you like to get manicures and pedicures (what girl doesn't?), make sure you go to a reputable place that cleans its instruments between each customer. This is key to preventing infection.